Support our work
We’re asking the Adventure Uncovered community to help us democratise adventure storytelling, tell better stories and have more impact by giving monthly financial contributions through Patreon - 100% of which will go directly to writers and contributors. This page explains why we’re asking, why we think you should support and how it will work.
Our journey so far
Adventure Uncovered’s mission is to help build a more inclusive, sustainable and impactful adventure culture.
We embarked on this in 2016, publishing adventure stories and journeys with a purpose. By 2017 we were organising live talks and outdoor impact events, and since 2018 have organised the only adventure film festival dedicated to films about social and environmental change. Building a unique concept that matches an appetite for change means the festival has flourished, and Adventure Uncovered has evolved into a broader space for critical but inspiring thinking and doing.
In March 2020 we launched our new approach to online publication: Editions. Editions are thematic collections of the best adventure storytelling - articles, longform features, interviews, photography, film and more - akin to a digital magazine. We also publish a regular stream of non-Edition pieces, and in 2021 will launch Trails: content series following specific adventure narratives through the year.
Together this work highlights issues, advocates for action and change and champions those leading the way - all crucial tasks if adventure, in its myriad forms, is to be a powerful force for good. But providing a space isn’t enough. That space must be truly sustainable and empower the people involved.
Until now Adventure Uncovered has been part business, part labour of love. We’ve done good work, built an audience and generated some revenue, but it has been slow and organic. No bad thing, but we haven’t yet paid ourselves or our contributors more than occasional, nominal amounts. This needs to change.
We are excited to announce that in 2021 it will change, through a range of revenue streams we will be transparently reporting on throughout the year. Patreon, a platform that will allow you to support us through recurring monthly payments, will be one of these streams.
We now feel confident that our online content justifies requesting a little financial support from those of our readers who agree and can afford it. In 2020 we published 120 pieces read by tens of thousands and featuring hundreds of adventure thinkers and new voices on vital issues.
2020 highlights include trail running environmentalist Rosie Watson’s post-Covid rallying cry, CEO Jen Gurecki on game-changing feminist snowsports company Coalition Snow, academic Maxwell Ayamba on racial inequality in outdoor participation, writer Jini Reddy on seeking the magical in Britain’s landscapes, artist Simon Faithfull on treating the earth as a sculpture and snowboarder and artist Meghann O’Brien on the relationship between snowboarding and her Indigenous heritage.
We are proud of this work, but Patreon will help us do more and do better. This is why we are asking readers for support. Don’t worry: this is not a paywall, and anybody who isn’t able to contribute is still welcome to enjoy all our content for free. That said, we hope you will agree there is a strong case for supporting us...
Why support Adventure Uncovered through Patreon?
Our top financial priority, among many 2021 goals, is to pay contributors fairly. This is why, as we work towards wider financial sustainability and paying ourselves fairly, we are committing 100% of all Patreon revenue to paying contributors. We won’t keep a penny. We will also contribute a further £150 to each Edition ourselves, and publish records of how we used the funds.
What are the benefits of supporting us?
- Democratise adventure storytelling. By supporting us you will be ensuring each contributor to our monthly Editions is paid fairly and their work valued properly. This will create a sustainable, empowering environment better suited to our mission to amplify marginalised voices - and not only publish those who can afford to work voluntarily.
- Fund more compelling stories. Paying contributors more will allow us to cover more stories, attract a wider range of voices and pour more energy into our pieces. We may eventually be able to invest in original investigations or develop our editorial team - decisions that will be guided by you. In any case your support will make our storytelling stronger, more impactful and more widely read.
- Increase our impact. Fairer, better publishing has an impact in itself. But paying Editions contributors will also reduce the amount of content we need to produce internally, freeing up capacity to work on other projects designed to make Adventure Uncovered more inclusive, sustainable and impactful.
- Get rewarded. We want to reward you for helping the adventure community. So, depending on your level of support, you will receive a host of benefits - things like extra content, early tickets, partner discounts, strategic input and co-created content. This makes supporting us worth every penny and more. The full range of rewards is on our Patreon page.
How will Patreon actually work?
Transparency is vital to us, so we explain this in full at the bottom of the document. If you’re interested in supporting us, the process is simple:
- Choose a tier. Go to Patreon and choose to support us through one of four monthly membership tiers: £2, £5, £10 or £25 per month.
- Get rewarded. Enjoy the host of rewards that come with your tier.
- Enjoy the fruits of your support. Enjoy early access to all of our Editions, packed with the vital adventure stories and voices that you have directly funded.
Our Patreon is live!
To support simply head over and select your support tier. Be sure to read all about the rewards before deciding. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to drop us a line at email@example.com
What kind of stories will your support help us publish in 2021?
All our stories - articles, interviews, photography, films, lists and all - show how adventure intersects with the vital social and environmental issues of our day. Beyond this, our stories aim to amplify lesser heard voices and perspectives. As was the case in 2020, each of our 2021 Editions will approach adventure through a specific theme:
Adventure Organising (March)
Our March Edition will exhibit adventure organisations of different shapes and sizes contributing to real social and environmental change, seeking the secrets to their success. To help build a better world, we must learn from our leading lights.
Backyard Celebration (May)
In May we plan to celebrate local adventure: the people finding brilliant ways to explore their patch. Adventure need not be big or far flung. The most creative, inspiring and sustainable escapades often play out close to home, and we want to prove that.
The Non-Adventurers (July)
Many of the most valuable perspectives on adventure don’t come from adventurers, or even people into adventure sports, but thinkers from other spheres: activists, artists, workers, normal people. As a community we must be open to these perspectives, and this Edition intends to show why.
The Real Risk Takers (September)
Much adventure involves voluntary physical risk. But for many it involves more deep-rooted danger. In September we will highlight people adventuring in the face of potentially grave social and political consequences, out of survival as much as leisure. These are the real risk takers.
You Decide! (November)
We will decide the theme of our November Edition through a vote upon the publication of our July Edition. We’ll draw up a shortlist, including themes proposed by supporters, and our Patreon supporters will vote on which theme we run with!
For a full explanation of how we allocate funds and how we spend Patreon revenue on an ongoing basis, you can keep track here.