With proven benefits to mental and physical health and zero tailpipe emission, cycling is and has always been, one of the best ways to get about town (and countryside!).
As governments across the world draw plans to usher in "a new golden age for cycling" we find ten reasons why now is the time to drag that dusty bike out the garage, get down to the bike shop and freewheel away into a two-wheeled future.
1. The UK Government has announced an unprecedented £2billion package to support the growth of the nation’s cycling by extending city bike lanes, widening pavements, implementing traffic calming measures, offering vouchers for free bike repairs and even building underground bike lanes.
3. Everyone else is. Join the movement and be a part of the expected 10 fold increase in cycling.
4. The prospect of international travel anytime soon is... unlikely. Discover your surroundings and the wider UK by exploring the 15,000 miles of National Cycle Network.
5. Politicians need our support to implement further pro-cycling measures. Cycling is the best way to demonstrate this.
6. The roads have never been quieter! Traffic is down by up to 73% on pre-crisis levels, making for a nicer, safer cycling experience.
7. Summer is here... right?
8. Enjoy second breakfasts. Depending on the intensity of your ride cycling can burn between 400 and 1,000 calories per hour, croissant anyone?
9. With restrictions lifting slightly we’ll be able to do unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise! Cycling is one of the few things you can do to get out of the house.
10. Social distancing will reduce public transport capacity to 10% of pre-crisis levels… What's your other option?
“If ever there was a good time to get on your bike, it’s now. You will be helping take pressure off public transport. You will be looking after your health. You will be looking after the health of others and you will be helping the environment. Let’s all get pedalling and help Britain on the road to recovery.”
- Sir Dave Brailsford, Team Principal of Team INEOS